Thursday, October 18, 2007

Women's Poverty Part 2

Women are more and more becoming the brute force of poverty in this country, as I discussed in my last blog, not only do women get paid less, they also have other factors within their fight to stay above the poverty level.


"At the same time that women produce 75 to 90 percent of food crops in the world, they are responsible for the running of households. According to the United Nations, in no country in the world do men come anywhere close to women in the amount of time spent in housework. Furthermore, despite the efforts of feminist movements, women in the core [wealthiest, Western countries] still suffer disproportionately, leading to what sociologist refer to as the “feminization of poverty,” where two out of every three poor adults are women. The informal slogan of the Decade of Women became “Women do two-thirds of the world’s work, receive 10 percent of the world’s income and own 1 percent of the means of production.”

Richard H. Robbins, Global Problems and the Culture of Capitalism, (Allyn and Bacon, 1999), p. 354 found at http://www.globalissues.org/HumanRights/WomensRights.asp#FeminizationofPoverty


I am not saying that women are better then men at all, I'm just asking for women to get the recognition they deserve. I think men are reminded how hard they work, I mean, thats basic American History, our founding fathers, how man built this country. Women have been toils of war, stepped on, left to raise the children at home, made to cook and and clean and have children.

I remember, way before I even knew what feminism was, I read this eye opening book and it was excerpts from real, {100% real} diary's and story's of women and depression all the way up from the 1800 century till now. I really really wish i still had it this book or bought it but thats besides the point. There was a few chapters about child rearing and bringing up children and it was so depressing. These women were praying, hoping, writing that they wished they died in their next child birth, that they were so exhausted they wished death. Another women said they would "expose" their little girls because she didn't want them to have the miserable life she had. These were entries from 1900.

I just remembering reading this and being horrified and I can't help wishing i was born a white. A white middle class man would could be free to do what they wanted, I couldn't help but feel jipped being born a girl.

Will this world ever see the contribution's of women?


No comments: